Like, a lot of books. In my defense:
1) Books are worthy investments.
2) Paolo Bacigalupi was there, one of my inspirations to start writing professionally, and the more books I brought him to sign, the more minutes of conversation I could squeeze in. So now I have signed copies of The Water Knife, Tool of War, and The Windup Girl, plus some heartfelt words from an author whose career inspired mine.
3) They had old-time Robert E. Howard. I mean yellow-paged crackling nearly-ancient-wizard-scroll-status old R.E. Howard books (including not only Conan but such hard to find tomes as The Iron Man, Almuric, and Wolfshead). For those who don't know I've got a soft spot for the pulpy sword-and-sorcery of yesteryear, and this is as authentically pulpy as it gets.
4) This winter while not writing I'm busily converting my garage into a full-blown writer's cave, and one 18' wall is to be entirely bookshelves, thus necessitating many a book, despite my already massive collection.
5) They had old-time Analogs, including part of the original serialization of Frank Herbert's Children of Dune. It's like holding history in your hands. And how cool are they going to look featured on afore-mentioned wall-o-shelves? Every good author must first be a hardcore fan.
6) Because I can. Isn't this what I dreamed of, spending all my allowance on the next installment of The Wheel of Time as a nerdy middle-schooler? To have endless adult money to spend on books I love? Well guess what, nerdy-former-me: we've got it now. And I used it to buy the super-geeky serialization of Jordan's Eye of the World.
Thanks, MileHiCon. Lots of other cool things happened there too, but I had to share this pile I came home with, because I knew you, fellow reader, would appreciate it.
Leave a Reply.
You've reached the electronic home of author Levi Jacobs. Cleverly hidden in this site are stories I've written, news about things I've published, excerpts from my novels, and dark secrets about my other life as an itinerant fruit salesman. Enjoy!
Affiliate Notice:This blog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to amazon.com.
Join the beggars and brawlers mailing list and get an exclusive NOVELLA!